The project saw the creation of the region’s largest wholesale fish market with a state-of-the-art new fish hall, a delivery yard and upgraded customer parking facilities.
The new fish hall replaces the existing market which remained open throughout the project, allowing trade to continue. When it opened, the old building was demolished and redeveloped as a car park with new lighting installed, providing better facilities for both trade and retail customers.
The project involved construction of seven tailor-made units, plus an impressive double height ‘buyers walkway’, specialist chiller and freezer install, and ancillary office space to the first floor. Six of the units are occupied by existing tenants of the previous facility, with one new tenant taking the additional space.
Andrew Russell, director at Russells Construction, said: “It’s great to see the new fish hall open for business and the new parking area provides a smart new welcome for customers. We’ve had great feedback from the traders and the Council on both the new facility and how successfully we ensured the construction project didn’t affect the ongoing operation of the market.”
New Smithfield Market opened in the Northern Quarter in 1872 but moved to the 35-acre site in Openshaw in the 1970s. The market is home to dozens of businesses providing fresh and frozen fish and meat, fruit and vegetables, and employs around 600 people. The investment in the fish market is part of the wider refurbishment of the whole site, to provide traders with more modern facilities and support future growth.
The new fish market was designed by GDLodge architects in conjunction with the Council and the on-site operational team.